Sunday, March 19, 2006

sing

Now, I usually try to refrain from making references to my personal life on my blog because well, who the heck cares; but stay with me, I do have a point.

My friend Katelynn plays the saxophone. No- you don't understand...I mean she really really plays it, like well. Last night I went to hear her Jazz Ensemble play their last concert of the year and, although I walked in expecting great music, I walked out with a lot more.

Now, Katelynn and I have been friends since forever (and by forever I mean grade 7...that's close enough right?) and forever is a long enough time to get to know someones strenghts. Katelynn's strength is music; it always has been (she was one of those kids who played the piano before she could walk). What I did not realize however, is that music is also her passion and is, in some strange, beautiful way, inextricably woven into the fabric of her bones.

Now for those of you who are unfamilar with the experience, there is not much to look at when it comes to jazz concerts. For this reason, I found myself mostly staring at the musicians. Most of them, while not playing, just kind of sat there waiting for their turn to come in. They looked a little bored, actually. Not Katelynn. She closed her eyes and swayed a little with this kind of satisfied look on her face. It was almost as if (and forgive me for being sentimental) the music was coming not from the other instruments, but from her own soul. When I watch her play, I always get the feeling that something intimate is taking place, like hearing lovers whisper in a language I don't speak.

There is something almost sacred about seeing someone do the thing they were created for. Something otherworldly and radient about a person singing in harmony with God's song for their life. I am tempted to get all poetic here about destiny and what-have-you, but I won't. You all know what I am talking about, but even I don't know what I mean.
Maybe someday.

Here's hoping we all find our song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home