Wednesday, February 15, 2006

why cowboys aren't the point

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
-Jesus
John 13: 34-35

Love one another, eh?
Sometimes I find it amusing (in a cynical kind of way) how we Christians always get so caught up in the picky little details of our faith while missing the basic things, the big things, things like love. We (and, as is the case in most of my blogs- "we" refers to "me") are so busy debating evangelism strategies and whether or not dancing and dating are immoral that sometimes I think, we kind of miss the point.

Love one another.
Love one another.
Love.
One Another.

Hmm...maybe there no lone rangers in Christianity. Maybe God is not impressed by all of our cowboy hats and attempts to be Chuck Norris. Maybe we all need to turn off those romantic westerns and get off our prideful horses for a change. Maybe one more seminar won't be the key to introducing our friends to Jesus; maybe it will be love.
I hate to admit this, but I need people. I need my sisters and brothers in Christ to walk beside me because, damn it- I'm not strong enough to do this alone.
Don't get me wrong, I love a good western as much as the next person, but let's ride into the sunset together, my friends. Then they will know that we are his disciples.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home