Friday, March 31, 2006

Dear Jealousy,

A heart at peace gives life to the body,
but envy rots the bones.
Proverbs 14:30

Your kisses were always
corrosive, you know
I can still feel the hole your lips
left on my heart

Those stalks of insatiable
withered and proud
__________________________less green
than you and I like to pretend
your eyes
were never a meadow, you know
and I've found only ashes
inside your embrace

Yet
order a pint of this ____________dead aching grass
because
rather your acid than
no rain at all.

3 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger shine.is.dead said...

This poem gives me a warm fuzzy feeling at the moment.

I will refrain from making an "angry feminist" note.

You grow my friend.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger valerie salerie said...

dear Erin,
hrmm
i'm not sure if i think pint of grass is sitting with me.. pints make me think of ice cream, or something liquid.
and in the last stanza, maybe "better" instead of "rather"?

i like the non-meadow eyes and ash-y embrace

love,
roome V

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger JnR said...

unlike shine, i get no warm fuzzy feelings from this poem and i like that. this is a good poem, very good. i admire how you can write so easily without rhyming. you kick poet-y ass.
-m

 

Post a Comment

<< Home