Monday, November 27, 2006

[Heaven.]

Heaven.
Lots of people think of it as some place God lets us go when we die, if he's in a good mood that day and we haven't killed anyone recently. A place full of all sorts of golden, breakable things and dead people we've never met. But I've been thinking...maybe it's more that that.
Maybe it's home.Christians, of course, have thought of heaven as "going home" for centuries. I am a Christian. But somehow the meaning, the meat, the essence of that idea has managed to evade me all this time.
Jesus said,

"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world."
John 17:24


Where I am. I want them to be where I am. There is such longing in those words. Such desire. I picture Jesus standing at the door of heaven cranning his neck (and upon furthur consideration, I think that heaven has a big old wooden front door, instead of those tacky pearly gates). I picture him looking this way and that. When is she coming? When will she get here?
I can picture it.
I arrive at last, dusty, weather-beaten traveller and Jesus opens the door and throws his arms around my neck, before I even have time to appologize for the mess I have made on his sapphire kitchen floor.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so I would not have told you. I am going to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
John 14:1-4

I think Jesus misses us.
I thinke Jesus is excited for us to arrive.
Excited to show us home

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certian of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

Faith is being able to smell the bread they're baking in heaven and see the light He's leaving on for you up there.

These are my thoughts on heaven.
Because Val says I don't post my thoughts enough.
Because Val says my thoughts are interesting.
Because right now...
Heaven sounds really
really
really really

good.

5 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger valerie salerie said...

(a grinning valerie head)

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger JnR said...

val is right and 'often' is never too much.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Daudi said...

Home. Ah, home. It sounds like such a cliche term, but it is so undefinable. I would agree that home is heaven. Or heaven is home. Or however it works. I don't really know. Is it that heaven is our home all along, or that we finally find home in heaven? Only one way to find out.....

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Butterfly Girl said...

amazing, thank you Erin, and Val is right

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger katelynn said...

Can't wait until we get there.

K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home