Wednesday, November 01, 2006

postcard

Your postcard came on
____________Tuesday
______blank.

If a picture’s worth a thousand-
why won’t they come?

_____but
_____words
_____don’t
_____ come

So I find you, instead.
_______________________You come like autumn
____brown paper peeled away
you come with your god-like splendor
with the heat of Indian summer
__________still
_______wild and fresh on your breath

I should have known then

I should have seen
The yellow in the corners
and the death-like flavour of your kisses
_________________spreading from the root
first to limbs
(entangled as they were)
_________then straight to leaves and heart.

I should have known then
as you crushed your trees and crimson longings
_______________into my chest
That winter was
already here.

3 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger JnR said...

the last 'stanza' is my favourite. we should publish out work, and then retire on the proceeds.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger JnR said...

i mean't "our" not "out"...just in case you were wondering. :P

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Erin said...

mmm. Retirement sound mighty good, right about now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home